Parks & Recreation Commission Volunteer Recognition Awards
One of the Parks & Recreation Commission’s powers and duties is to encourage individuals, businesses and community groups to contribute funds, property, and volunteer services for the development and operation of park and recreation facilities and programs. The Commission has established this program and process to accept and consider nominations for the Parks & Recreation Commission Volunteer Recognition Award as part of its Volunteer Recognition Program. These awards are intended to acknowledge the outstanding achievements of individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses that have made efforts to benefit the community by assisting the City of Sacramento in providing exceptional parks and recreational facilities and programs.
How it works
- There are three categories for Volunteer Recognition Awards: Youth, Parks, and Community Enrichment.
- Nominations are accepted year-round and awards are issued quarterly
- Nominations may be submitted by individuals, Commission members, and Mayor and Council Members to recognize residents, community groups, non-profit organizations, and businesses
- The award recipient and the person making the nomination will be contacted if chosen for an award or not, and the date of the Commission meeting when the award will be made
Who is eligible?
- Nominees must be a current or former resident or a group, organization, or business that has been operating within the City of Sacramento for at least two years
- Their volunteer effort must be a significant devotion of time or resources which deserves recognition due to the benefit to the community and residents of Sacramento
- Current City employees, Commission Members, and Mayor and Council Members are not eligible for this award, retirees and prior Commission and elected officials are eligible
- A person may not nominate his or her self, their spouse, or a member of their immediate family
How nominations will be reviewed
- Each nomination will be reviewed by a Parks & Recreation Commission member, and for work within a particular area of the City also by the applicable Council Member
- For nominations regarding volunteer work or donations to City parks or programs, the Youth, Parks, & Community Enrichment Department staff will be asked to verify that effort or donation
- The Parks & Recreation Commission members will submit each quarter one or more nominations for the Commission to consider for approval for a recognition award
- The recipient will be presented a Volunteer Recognition Award certificate at a Parks & Recreation Commission meeting, at a date convenient for the recipient
- Award recipients will be recognized in the Youth, Parks, & Community Enrichment Department’s social media postings and newsletters
- Award recipients will be honored at an Annual Recognition Night typically held in September each year as part of the Parks & Recreation Commission meeting
- Award recipients may also receive prizes or gifts that have been donated by business organizations and would be eligible for selection to receive a free ticket to the City’s suite at the Golden One Center